It’s been a while, how have you been? It’s been work, work and a little more work. I told myself ‘I am going to squeeze out time to make this post during the day’ and Yeeah…! I did it. It is a late post but it is better late than never right?
The past few weeks have been eventful in the school where I work, I get home exhausted most times but the fun of it is that I learnt something.
The first event was Valentine’s Day which was last week and we had our first annual inter house sport competition.
Let me give you a little gist on how the events went.
Valentine’s Day celebration was a success. I was appointed a member of the Valentine’s day committee for our school valentine’s day event; not just a member but the head of the committee (In my head I was screaming WHAT? Because I haven’t planned or led any committee before) Somehow, I manage to run away from leadership positions but couldn’t escape this.
The committee is saddled with the responsibility of planning the programme of what the day should be like. I quickly dived into the world of Pinterest searching for ideas to make the day fun.
I got ideas as regards decorations and pupils activity for the Valentine’s Day celebration. I swung into action called on my team members we began planning; you know what they say… (Two heads are better than one; I got two extra heads to join me)
Let me share how we celebrated Valentine’s Day in school.
We started by narrating the story of valentine and why it is celebrated; emphasizing sharing, caring and respect are ways we can show love to others.
Pupils gave presentations rhymes, poems and songs that passed the message ‘Love is important for the holistic development of a child’.
Parents wrote love letters to their children and they submitted in the Valentine’s Day mail box; the letters were read to the children.
The pupils were engaged in dance competitions, we took pictures to wrap up the event, cake and party packs were distributed to each pupil.
Saturday 24th February, 2018 was our first annual inter house sport competition, I would say it went well considering it’s the first inter house sport held since the school was established.
The event was packed with series of fun activities for the pupils.
Pupils assembled according to their houses, the event began with singing the national anthem, pledge and the school anthem. Immediately the march pass began sequentially before pupils took their seats.
Pre -schoolers did their race (they raced to get a goody bag) and they did picking the ball race. I am sure their parents had a good laugh.
Other activities included;
- Three legged race ( two pupils work as a team with one of their legs tied together)
- 50 meter dash
- 25 meter dash
- Egg and spoon race
- Filling the bottle race ( pupils filled the bottle to the brim with water)
- Ring the elephant ( pupils would race to insert four rings on the elephants trunk)
- Blindfold picking the balls ( pupils were blindfolded and they would try to pick as many balls as possible, this activity was timed for 2 minutes)
- Catching the train ( pupils would dress up quickly in their uniforms and race to the finishing line)
- Shuttle race ( this is a relay race with six pupils, the first person begins the race and passes the baton to the next person on the other end, till the last person ends the race to the finishing line)
- Thug of war
- Cheerleading team and gymnast made their presentations
The event came to a close with the presentations of medals and trophies, as I watched through and helped with the organisation ( I served as an usher ) , I had a feel of nostalgia for my primary school days.
I learnt during this past weeks that;
- The fun doesn’t end; you create the fun and enjoy it.
- Love should be visible in our daily relationship with others; you and I don’t have to wait till 14th February to celebrate the ones we love, it might be too late.
- You can’t tell how much support you would receive until you go all out telling people about “the picture” you have in mind.
- When soliciting support for your vision/ ideas do not look down on people.
- Be open to ideas and be flexible.
- You will never know your ability until you get a push, till you try.
I hope I passed the message well and you picked up a lesson too. I would love to hear from you.
Please don’t forget to like, comment and share this post.
P.S I am trying to learn something new “fashion illustration” anyone with ideas or sites where I can learn will be highly appreciated, Thanks.